In this week’s New Year new me healthy eating journey series, I am bring you a healthy breakfast recipe (copycat Starbucks wrap) with homemade tortilla recipe.
If you’re on social media especially in the food space you have probably seen a lot of videos like these. It’s one of the most recent trends probably from TikTok because all these food trends lately have been from TikTok. It’s an easy fun way to make and grill a wrap. There are so many variations out there. I decided to re-create the famous Starbucks Breakfast Wrap with homemade tortilla (view below for tortilla recipe).
Starbucks Feta & Spinach Wrap
This wrap is super simple and would well align with your 2021 healthy eating goals if you’ve established any like me. The wrap consist of feta cheese, spinach, egg whites, sun dried tomatoes, and cream cheese spread. It’s pretty basic but taste so good. Obviously it’s a wrap not a quesadilla shaped meal but for the sake of this tortilla hack, I made it this way.
Tortilla is so easy to make with MINIMAL ingredients: flour, salt, water, and oil. That’s all. Doesn’t take too long to make either. I’ve made tortilla so many times I don’t bother buying it because, like I said it’s so easy to make and I almost always have the ingredients on-hand. Pro-tip: This is a step a recently learned and made all the difference: once you remove the tortilla from the pan, make sure you wrap it in a kitchen towel. This process helps to preserve the heat and make your tortilla “flexible” and not stiff. Same goes with re-heating in the microwave. Always add a damp paper towel on top to help absorb some of the heat so you don’t end up with a “stiff” tortilla.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3/4 cup hot water
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients into a bowl and knead dough until it is well blended together
- Form into a ball and let rest in a bowl with a kitchen towel on top for 30 minutes
- After resting for 30 min, divide dough into 4 equal pieces
- Take each piece and use a rolling pin to flatten dough into a thin circular form
- Take a frying pan and place it on the stove on medium heat
- Once pan has heated, place first flatten dough into the pan.
- Wait until bubbles start to form, check that the bottom has brown spots and flip tortilla to the other side. It will be complete when both sides have brown spots
- Once you remove tortilla from pan, wrap it inside kitchen towel. This helps preserve heat so that tortilla is soft and doesn't end up stiff.
- Repeat for all the pieces, wrapping them in the kitchen towel. Let rest for 5 minutes and enjoy!