There’s fried rice, there’s shrimp fried rice, pineapple shrimp fried rice, but how about pineapple and shrimp quinoa fried rice? Fried rice is known for being a quick but satisfying meal to make. Traditionally, day old white rice is used to make fried rice. Lately, I have been reducing the amount of rice I’ve been consuming and replacing it with other healthier carbohydrates. Quinoa is a great rice substitute.
Quinoa is a grain that has many health benefits to it. It is lower in calories and carbs than white rice, twice as many protein and more fiber content. It is cooked the same way you would cook rice. The texture is more of a seedy, grainy texture than of rice. Nevertheless, it’s a great rice substitute if you are looking for one.
My favourite touch to this dish is the pineapple. It adds the sweetness to balance the savoury from the soya sauce and the spicy from the chili flakes. You can of course opt out of adding pineapple as some would rather not add pineapple to their meals but trust me, make it a pineapple and shrimp quinoa fried rice!
Pineapple Shrimp Fried Quinoa
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup Chopped onion
- 1 1/2 tbsp Minced Ginger
- 2 tbsp Oil of choice
- 150 gram Shrimp
- 1 tsp Adobo seasoning
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Chili Flakes
- 3/4 cup Frozen vegetables
- 1/2 cup Pineapple
- 2 cups Cooked Quinoa
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Soya Sauce
- Prep your ingredients by chopping the onion, garlic, and ginger
- On medium heat, add 2 tbsp of oil of your choice to pan, then add onion, garlic, and ginger
- While onion, garlic, and ginger are frying, in a bowl add shrimp, adobo, paprika, and chili flakes and mix well
- Add shrimp mix into the pan and let fry for 5 minutes
- Add frozen vegetables in the pan and let fry for 2 minutes
- Add pineapple into the pan and mix everything together. After 5 min, reduce the heat to low
- Add cooked quinoa into the pan and mix everything together
- In a bowl, mix sugar and soya sauce together, then add mixture into the pan
- Mix everything together on low heat for 1 minute then remove from heat
- Let it cool down then serve and enjoy!