Cornbread has a special place in my heart. I’ve tried many different types. Jalapeño cornbread, cornbread with actual corn pieces in it. But my favourite type is good ol’ sweet cornbread. Now all cornbread is good cornbread. I just have an undeniable sweet tooth and tend to lean over to a sweet cornbread rather than savoury.
Cornbread is ideally a side dish as you can pair it with so many things. You can pair it with chili, meats, vegetables. Butter is up, jam it down. You can have these sweet cornbread with your meal, as a dessert, or a snack.
I don’t have these all the time. I tend to save them for the holiday season or special occasions. As we are entering the holiday season such as Thanksgiving and Christmas these are perfect for the season!
- 9×13 rectangle pan
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 1 cup Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Melted Butter
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a bowl mix cornflour, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar
- Mix in egg and milk
- Add in melted butter and vegetable oil and mix batter until it is smooth
- Take your rectangle pan and coat the interior with cooking spray, butter, or oil to avoid cornbread to stick to pan
- Add batter to the pan, then into the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until knife comes out clean when you stick it into the cornbread
- Let cool down and enjoy!