It’s October which means the leaves are changing colours, the weather is getting cooler and everything has pumpkin in it. Yes pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffin and the oh so famous pumpkin spice latte. I figured why don’t I try to make a homemade pumpkin spice latte recipe.
There’s 2 key ingredients that you need to transform this regular latte into a pumpkin latte; pumpkin spice mix and pumpkin puree. Fun fact: neither ingredients actually contain pumpkin! Isn’t that funny. You probably already have most, if not all of the ingredients to make this homemade pumpkin spice latte.
For the pumpkin puree you can go ahead and buy a can of pumpkin puree or you can make your own. As I mentioned you don’t need pumpkin you can achieve this with a butternut squash. Take the squash, cut it in half, and you can either boil it, or roast it in the oven for about 45min. Once the squash has soften, blend it up to smooth it out.
Pumpkin Spice Mix
If you’d like, you can go and find the mix in store but let me tell you, you probably have all the spices in your cupboard. It’s also much cheaper to make it at home than to buy it in store. You will need 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, and a pinch of ground clove. And voila! Your spice is ready for your homemade pumpkin spice latte.
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Water
- 4 tbsp Pumpkin Puree
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Pumpkin Spice Mix
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Instant Coffee
- Whipping cream optional
- On low heat add milk, water, pumpkin puree, sugar, pumpkin spice mix, and vanilla extract into a pot and mix
- Adjust sugar and spice to your likings
- Make sure you are mixing on low heat so mixture stays heated but does not boil
- Add instant coffee into the pot and mix
- Add drink into a cup, top with whip cream, sprinkle a little bit of pumpkin spice mix on top for decor and serve