I’ve grown to be a fan of tofu especially during this quarantine period. I use to not understand it but because I’ve been exploring in the kitchen I have embraced this versatile food. This bbq jerk tofu bites recipe will make you fall in love with tofu as well.
With tofu bites, the base or marinade is usually standard, it’s the sauce you toss it in that makes it yours. This recipe is a bbq jerk marinade/sauce but you can literally take whatever sauce you’d like, sweet n sour, buffalo, and have it with these tofu bites.
I love my air fryer but it’s completely optional for this recipe. I love the idea of fried food without the guilt of all the oil that’s used.
BBQ Jerk Tofu Bites
- Air fryer (optional)
- 350 g Extra Firm Tofu
- 1/4 cup Soya Sauce
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 3 tbs Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Jerk Seasoning Paste/powder
- Barbecue Sauce
- Sriracha Sauce Optional
- Drain the liquid out of the tofu and press it down to get rid of the moisture. The less moisture, the more "meaty" it will taste. You can wrap the tofu in a dry cloth and add pressure to drain moisture out. This process can take hours but is only necessary if you want a meaty texture.
- Once tofu is dry enough, rip them apart with your hands to create "bites". You can also cut them into cubes if you prefer
- Add soya sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder and mix and let marinate for 10min. If you have jerk seasoning powder, add it here. If you have the paste you can add it here or later on halfway through air frying.
- Add cornstarch to add crispiness to the tofu and toss together
- Set Air fryer at 400 degrees and set the timer for 10min. If you do not have an air fryer you can fry or bake the tofu. Place tofu in the air fryer.
- Halfway through, take the tofu out and toss in jerk seasoning paste. Skip this step if you used the powder
- Once tofu is done, take it out of the air fryer and let cool for 10min
- Toss tofu in bbq sauce as well as a little bit of Sriracha for an extra kick