These are not just any type of galette, these are Congolese galette a treat I grew up with and continue to enjoy. There are a few variations of this snack some people add milk and eggs, you can make them soft like waffles or hard like shortbread cookies. In true African fashion whenever I make these I don’t measure. But for the sake of this recipe, I measured everything to get the best version for all of you.
This version is 5 ingredients, the shortbread kind, quick and easy to make and I’m sure you’ll love it. You do need a waffle maker for this there’s no way around it. I like to make them bite sized but you can make them slightly bigger if you’d like.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
Total time: 45 min
2 ½ cups of flour
1/8 tsp salt
½ cup sugar
1 ½ cups butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
- Pour all the ingredients in a bowl in the order listed above
- Break down the butter with a spoon into chunks
- I like to use my hands to properly mix everything. The consistency should be like play dough, not too soft or you’ve added too much butter, good enough to form into balls
- Once everything is mixed form 1 inch round balls.
- Once your waffle maker is heated place 2 balls per square and close the lid to cook the galette
- The galette will be complete once it reaches a light brown colour
- It will appear very soft at first, allow it to cool down a little as it hardens and then enjoy!